Joined
·
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm trying to jump the fuel pump on my 96 LT1 using the built in wire by the PCM, however I can't seem to get it to work, I know it takes a 12 volt source but it doesn't seem to be working very well. What's the easy and best way to set this up?
Joined
·
6,381 Posts
It is as simple as jumpering a wire from the +12v post on the RH shock tower to the prime connector. A jumper with an inline fuse is a good precaution.
Joined
·
13,655 Posts
If your pump doesn't run with the jumper in place, pump is most likely suspect. Even though it could be wiring to the pump bad.
Joined
·
6,381 Posts
On a 96 or 97 f-body, the fuel pump relay contacts could be bad even if you use the jumper. For those years, the power from the prime wire goes through the non-operated contacts on the relay. On the previous years, the prime wire completely bypasses the relay.
Joined
·
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
That's just it, the fuel pump primes when you turn the key over it just doesn't prime when you jump it. It's rather odd if you ask me, any suggestions? Perhaps replace the relay?
Joined
·
6,381 Posts
Unless your prime wire is open before getting to the relay, the relay could be at fault. Do more testing to prove which it is.
Joined
·
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tested the relay, it's good. Still nothing on the jumper wire though.
Joined
·
6,381 Posts
You haven't finished testing , then. Is there continuity on the wire to the relay?
Joined
·
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That may be were the fault is, is there another way to manually jump the pump besides that wire?
Joined
·
6,381 Posts
That may be were the fault is, is there another way to manually jump the pump besides that wire?
You could do the same thing at the relay plug or under the car at the harness connector. Just not as convenient. I am not sure why you are doing this when you say everything works fine (except for this).
Joined
·
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Normally I would let this go but the problem is that there's a bit of gas that's been sitting for a good year or two now in the tank, it's not a full tank but enough to where I'm afraid it could cause problems when it hits the engine. I put seafoam in the tank and it's not gummed up yet, just want the pump to empty it for me while I put fresh gas in it to clean the line. That and I'm REALLY trying to avoid dropping the tank, I've had enough PITA things with the transmission rebuild and interior restoration as it is. lol
Joined
·
13,655 Posts
if your wanting to drain the tank, use the gray wire to power up the pump. It's in the connector under the car forward from rear axle. It's on driver side of car.
Joined
·
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll try that, so far no luck with the pump primer wire, I feel like an idiot asking this but I can just connect the wire directly to the red post on the battery terminal right? So far that's not working very well, granted electrical parts have never been my friend.
Joined
·
13,655 Posts
Yes you can connect to red positive post of battery. It's time to make friends with auto electrics, fuel injection, and computer controlled systems as these will be most of the problems a modern car has.
Rear everything you can on the subjects. Internet has plenty and your local library usually has books on automotive electric, fuel injection and computer controlled systems.
If you use one of those file sharing torrent programs, they are a good source automotive info also.
Joined
·
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In that case can I just run a wire from the red battery post to the proper contact on the relay instead of trying to use the jumper wire? Or better yet just run it directly to the grey wire on the pump itself?
Joined
·
6,381 Posts
In that case can I just run a wire from the red battery post to the proper contact on the relay instead of trying to use the jumper wire? Or better yet just run it directly to the grey wire on the pump itself?
You could just jumper the orange to the grey in the relay socket.
Joined
·
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There's an idea...I know it would be smart to add a fuse to that link too, what size would it be?
Joined
·
6,381 Posts
There's an idea...I know it would be smart to add a fuse to that link too, what size would it be?
The power feed on the orange wire is already fused, so it's not like you are using a jumper directly from an unfused source like a battery terminal.
Joined
·
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So I can just stick a wire in each of the proper terminals in the socket and let it go? Awesome!
Joined
·
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
So I tried jumping the wires, nothing happened, tried the test prime wire again, nothing, replaced the relay, still nothing and last but not least tried to crank it and nothing happened...I'm almost suspicious that the PCM has shot itself, for some odd reason this has been a trend for every car I buy, but literally nothing happens when I try and start it (not even the starter cranks over and it was tested by three different sources and came back good along with a new battery) and on top of that the fuel pump doesn't even prime itself anymore, all that happens is that the lights come on, the starter does not work when the key is turned even though it's good and the engine doesn't even try and start which is odd.
Posted by: jamesfultankesu.blogspot.com
Source: https://www.ls1lt1.com/threads/fuel-pump-jumper-wire.93602/

0 Komentar